Our sister sector, DairyCo have produced the short film below, on behalf of UK dairy farmers, to take you on a break and find time to think about the everyday ways that the countryside and our delicious dairy products find a way into your lives. Make sure you look for the Red Tractor logo when you buy dairy produce.
Did you know?
- There are over 2 million cows in Great Britain, that's one cow for every 29 people.
- 11 billion litres of milk are produced each year by British dairy farms - that's enough to fill 4,500 Olympic sized swimming pools. 5 billion litres are sold for drinking and 6 billion litres are used to make dairy products.
- Each cow can produce over 20 litres of milk a day.
- A cow gives nearly 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime.
- In an average lifetime a Briton will drink almost 11,000 pints of milk.
- On a farm milk is stored in a milk tank which cools it before it is collected for processing. A typical tank can hold up to 10,000 litres of milk and keeps the temperature at 4C for optimum freshness.
- Sales of organic milk represent 3.9% of the overall liquid milk market.
To find out how the milk in your fridge is produced by Britain’s dairy cows visit www.thisisdairyfarming.com