- 200g strong wholemeal bread flour
- 250g strong white bread flour
- 25g oatmeal
- 25g oats + 1 tbsp
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
How to make it
- Mix the flours, oatmeal, 25g oats, salt and yeast in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix 300ml warm water with the honey and oil and stir into the flour to form a dough.
- Knead on a floured surface for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes - 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200C, gas mark 6. Grease a 1kg loaf tin.
- Knock the dough back and mould into a rough loaf shape to drop into the prepared tin. Cover and leave for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Sprinkle with the remaining oats and bake for 30-35 minutes until golden. Remove from the tin and cool.
- Serve with jam, marmalade or lemon curd.
Simply roll into a large round shape and place straight on a greased baking tray and bake instead of using a loaf tin.
For a savoury start to the day, try serving with smoked mackerel pate.
The loaf will keep for 1-2 days in an airtight container.