- 125g self-raising flour
- 100g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50g butter
- 75g smoked ham, diced
- 50g mature hard cheese, grated
- 50g sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 220oC, gas mark 7.
- Sift the flours and baking powder in a bowl. Add the butter and rub in with your fingers to resemble breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the ham, half the cheese, all but 1 tbsp of tomatoes and the chives, season. Mix in the milk to form a soft dough.
- Roll out to 2cm thick on a floured work surface and using a 6cm round cutter, cut out 8 scones, placing them on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and chopped tomatoes. Bake for 10 minutes until golden.
and match the ham with bacon or pulled ham hock, use fresh tomatoes instead of
sun dried and swap the herbs according to taste. Tyry using other types of