What is Farmhouse Breakfast Week?
Farmhouse Breakfast Week 2014 will take place
Sunday 26th January to Saturday 1st February
Farmhouse Breakfast Week is an annual celebration championing the importance of breakfast which aims to get the nation to Shake Up Their Wake Up! 47% of people regularly skip breakfast during the week so our aim is to encourage people to enjoy a healthy breakfast more regularly.
Managed by HGCA, the campaign started in 2000 and takes place every January with it growing year on year.
Farmhouse Breakfast Week is run on behalf of arable farmers who grow crops such as wheat, barley, oats and oilseed rape. The purpose of the campaign is to raise awareness of the benefits of eating a healthy breakfast and demonstrate the wealth of wonderful breakfast produce available around the country. We want to encourage people to think about where their breakfast foods come from and support the cereal farmers who produce it.
All stages of the food chain, from farmers to food producers and retailers to consumers are encouraged to get involved and hold events to promote the importance of starting the day with breakfast. Activities include tasting sessions, breakfast competitions, cookery demonstrations, special breakfast menus and school breakfast clubs to name just a few.
Farmhouse Breakfast Week 2013 took place between 20th - 26th January.
How can you get involved with Farmhouse Breakfast Week?
It's never too early to start planning your Farmhouse Breakfast Week event. If you produce breakfast products or you serve breakfast then you can get involved! You can use the week as a vehicle for your own activity and promote breakfast in any way you choose. If you are stuck for ideas, we have provided some suggestions in our Get Involved section.
- Organise an event or promotion as part of the week
- Sign up to our e-newsletter
- Follow us on Twitter
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Pinterest
- Contact us
We have a range of free resources to help you including booklets featuring some tasty breakfast recipes, posters, and stickers.
Why eat breakfast?
- Breakfast benefits you and your family and can help make you healthier and happier
- Breakfast eaters tend to be slimmer than breakfast skippers.
- Eating breakfast can aid concentration and mental performance at work and at school.
- It provides you with the nutrients and energy needed for an active lifestyle.
- Research shows that breakfast eaters are less depressed and have lower levels of stress than breakfast skippers.