Bangers for Breakfast!
This week is British Sausage Week, organised by our friends at Love
Pork. Bonfire Night is nearly upon us too so what better excuse to
share our favourite breakfast bangers!
This week is British Sausage Week, organised by our friends at Love Pork. Bonfire Night is nearly upon us too so what better excuse to share our favourite breakfast bangers!
Let’s start with some great sausage facts - did you know…
- In one year, as a nation, we eat approximately 181,000 tonnes of sausages
- 86% of British households buy sausages
- 21% of all sausages bought are eaten at breakfast time
- The humble sausage was first made 5,000 years ago!
- Sausages were nicknamed bangers during the Second World War. Their high water content due to the scarcity of other ingredients meant that they were liable to explode when cooked as the water turned to steam
- There are more than 470 recipes and flavours for sausages in Britain
So why don’t you celebrate British Sausage Week by treating yourself to one of these delicious breakfast sausage recipes.
Want to know how sausages are made? Rugby star and Masterchef winner Phil Vickery, who is supporting British Sausage Week, spent some time with Master Butcher Keith Fisher to learn the art of sausage making - what the video to find out how he got on!
We hope your British Sausage Week goes with a bang! Let us know in the comments section below whether you are a red or brown sauce person.